AW: Re: Nonsymmetrical Clipping

Haible_Juergen#Tel2743 HJ2743 at denbgm3xm.scnn1.msmgate.m30x.nbg.scn.de
Thu Sep 12 23:07:00 CEST 1996

> Cascaded assymetrical distortion stages that are capacitively coupled
> add a transient "punch" to a signal because as the first stage
> squashes the top (or bottom) the average value of the waveform changes
> - equivalently there is a DC component introduced. This DC is coupled
> as a transient to the second stage and for a short period causes it to
> squash more (or less) than it will when the capacitor charges to a
> steady-state value.
>
> I haven't put that particularly well, but I know that you guys will
> get the drift of it.

Though the 2040 is not capacitively coupled (rather the contrary,
with a LP function in each stage!), it shows the same effect. I
remember that I have done some spice simulations on this,
and have posted the results to DIY. Must be somewhere in
the archives - don't remember the details myself.

But the thing with RC-coupled stages is most interesting as well!
Might be a clue to explain some of the mystery about the good
sound of tube amplifiers. Most publications stress the effect
on the spectrum of the distortion products, but I haven't found
anything about this "punch" effect so far. And this effect must
occur even *before* you can hear much of distortion!
Imagine this: a "punch exciter" inherently build-in! Great!

JH.