best way to cut 1/4" holes in plastic?

Bogdan Wies Taw Raczynski 00204435 at bigred.unl.edu
Tue Oct 22 08:47:29 CEST 1996

I was wondering if anybody had any recommendations as to the best way for
cutting 1/4" holes into plastic?  I'm not sure if the size would be
specifically 1/4", but more specifically, for 1/4" phone jacks.
Recently, I just spent about 15 minutes with my soldering iron melting a
big circle into a piece of plastic, but that certainly wasn't any fun
(hey ,i was desperate, no tools).

Also.  I was wondering if anybody has figured out the pin config (or
knows it) for a phone jack (not 1/4" but actual telephone).  I'll
probably end up ripping a phone cord open and testing it myself, but I
was wondering if anybody else has done this yet.  Reason I ask is because I
have a little box that can hold up to 32 seconds of sampled anything, on
8 banks.  Although, currently, it uses phone i/o instead of 1/4" audio
jacks.  So I'd like to somehow make a converter box for this sort of thing.

|------------------------------
|silly 32 second sampling unit|
|                             |
|-^---------------------------|
  |phone in     |phone out
  |             |
|-|-------------V----|
|snazzy converter box|
|-^------------------|
  |audio in     |audio out
  |             |

This would allow me to put a microphone to the audio in, record some
samples, and then have it output throught the audio out.  The audio i/o
would just be regular 1/4" female jacks.  Again, I have the little
sampling box (cost a whole $6.50!), I just need to figure out a way to
convert the telephone jack into a 1/4" jack.  Not sure if this has been
done, so I thought I'd check with the pros.

Any ideas?  I understand this might be a bit off regular topic, but I'm
trying to use non-traditional components and boxes meant for something
completely different, as financial situations don't allow me to buy gobs
of ancient synths and samplers.

Thanks!

-bog
00204435 at bigred.unl.edu