Laser-printed panels and other topics

Rick Jansen sscprick at horus.sara.nl
Tue Oct 22 16:03:26 CEST 1996

In message <Pine.LNX.3.91.961022070219.13944F-100000 at moe.aysnet.com> you writ
e:

>   I'm not sure if any of you are aware of this material, and how handy
> you are in a dark room.  But I work in electronics making custom
> instruments, and we use a material called MetalPhoto.  It's a
> photosensitized aluminum, which you expose and process like film.
> Once the material is cured by boiling in a cure bath, the lettering
> is indestructible.  A little pricey, $10-20/sheet, depending on size.
> You can go a little cheaper by buying thin stuff (0.032) and glueing
> to your faceplate.  I don't have the info in front of me, but I can
> get you the name of a distributor if you like.

I'm aware of such stuff, and it's rather expensive indeed,
it's made by 3M. It is 0.5 mm aluminium with a photosensitive
coating, developed with a liquid. It has a glue to stick it
onto a base material. That glue they use is amazing,
it's like chewing gum, but even stickier.

Anyway, the transfer of lettering etc is as much a hassle
as is the making of pcb's... And the resulting coating is
not as dark black as I'd like, and it's easily scratched,
so it needs a plastic spray coating or something like that.
It is available in several colours.

(So this must be a different material than described by Stew.)

Rick Jansen
__
rick at sara.nl   http://www.sara.nl/Rick.Jansen