Laser-printed panels and other topics

Rick Jansen sscprick at horus.sara.nl
Tue Oct 22 12:00:01 CEST 1996

I made front panels for the Formant by designing them on a Macintosh,
printing them with a laserprinter on overhead sheet transparencies,
with the image "flipped" (mirrored). Then I glue the result with clear
epoxy onto aluminium (lightly sanded, do this with water, alu dust is
not good for your health (wet the alu, not yourself (with water))).
Print the image mirrored, so the toner will be on the epoxy-glue/alu
side.

The glue will wet the toner, and result in a beautiful deep dark
black.

There are drawbacks of course:

1.
xerox overhead transparencies cannot be glued very well, corners are
susceptible to cracking loose from the glue once dry. So you have to be
careful with the panel when not mounted. You can reduce this risk by
cutting the edges with a sharp knife under an angle of 45 degs.

2.
It's a pain to get all the little airbubbles out of the glue with the
transparency on it. It'll cost you a lot of careful rubbing to get the
bubbles out. I use transparent lettering on a black background, so only
bubbles under the lettering are really visible.

3.
Be sure to make the holes in the transparency before glueing, and be
careful mounting pots and switches etc.

Rick Jansen
__
rick at sara.nl   http://www.sara.nl/Rick.Jansen