What is an ASM-1?

gstopp at fibermux.com gstopp at fibermux.com
Fri Oct 18 18:08:21 CEST 1996

     Hi DIY list,

     In order to answer the periodic questions that come up about the
     ASM-1, here's a snippet of e-mail from earlier this year:

     ************* Beginning of e-mail snippet **************************

     Hi DIY List,

     I've had a circuit board made. I just got the prototype back and
     started to stuff the parts, and so far it looks like it's a cool
     thing.

     It has two saw/pulse VCO's, a multi-mode VCF, two ADSR's, two VCA's,
     an LFO, and a White/Pink/Random Noise Source. It's basically similar
     to an Oberheim SEM, except for the noise source and extra VCA. All
     circuit sections are discrete - in other words, no hard-to-find custom
     synthesizer chips! The circuits are based on the Electronotes modules
     that I've experimented with lately.

     Here's a brief description of each module:

     VCO - based on the Electronotes sawtooth design, with a CA3140
     integrator with FET reset, controlled by an LM311 comparator. The NPN
     exponential converter can be an Analog Devices MAT-02 matched pair, or
     a pair of hand-matched 2N3904's. A 1K tempco resistor can be used for
     best stability but is optional. There are 6 exponential CV inputs, 2
     linear FM inputs, 2 pulse width inputs, a sync input, a sawtooth
     output (-5v to +5v), and a pulse output (-5v to +5v).

     VCF - based on the Electronotes state-variable design. The exponential
     converter is based on one 2N3904 and two 2N3906's. The integrators are
     CA3080's buffered by CA3140's. There are 4 exponential CV inputs, one
     inverted exponential CV input, 4 audio inputs, and one buffered output
     each for Lowpass, Bandpass, Highpass, and Notch.

     VCA - based on the Electronotes 3080 linear design. There are 3 CV
     inputs, one (+) signal input, one (-) signal input, and one output.

     ADSR - my own design from a couple months ago, using an LM358 for the
     input comparators, a CD4002 for the attack flip-flop, a CD4053 analog
     switch, and a TL082.

     Noise Source - based on an Electronotes design. It uses a
     reversed-biased NPN transistor junction followed by a series of op-amp
     filters.

     LFO - typical tri-square manually-controlled design.

     PCB dimensions are 4.8" by 11". Power required is +/- 15 volts.

     I wanted to try out my CAD package and local circuit board vendors, so
     for the first project I decided to make something useful instead of
     just a single module. I would like to offer this circuit board to
     other people on the mail lists. I want to make a run of circuit boards
     and sell them, and I need feedback to get some commitments on just how
     big an order I should place. The more I order the cheaper they'll be.

     Note: I do not have any unrealistic ideas on making a huge profit
     here. This is my hobby and my only monetary goal would be to recoup
     the film and PCB setup costs (a few hundred dollars) plus some time
     and energy spare change. I expect that I'll be able to sell the bare
     boards for around $60 each.

     Any interest?

     - Gene
     gstopp at fibermux.com