ASM-1 oscillators

gstopp at fibermux.com gstopp at fibermux.com
Wed May 8 17:53:31 CEST 1996

     I've hooked up the prototype to a keyboard and played with it - it's a
     big mess of wires but it works pretty good.

     The VCO's are next to each other on the circuit board, but as far as I
     can tell there is *no* cross-influence between them at all. I can tune
     them to an identical (zero-beat) frequency and they exhibit the very
     slow evolving timbre sound that is characteristic of two very close
     oscillators. You can hear the second harmonic drift in and "take over"
     and fade out again which is a good indication of un-synchronized
     sawtooth mixing. I have adjusted the volts/octave trimmers so that the
     VCO's are beat-free across 3 octaves (the size of my test keyboard) so
     I think that they will have excellent tracking.

     There is what some may consider an excessive number of bypass caps on
     the circuit board. One of my design techniques is, upon completion of
     the circuit layout, to go back and stick power decoupling caps
     everywhere they will fit because they're cheap. Maybe this helped.

     If an interlocking effect is desired then I think that it would be
     possible to use an attenuator on the sync input to adjust this.

     BTW the VCF has the same Q feedback limiter circuit as the Oberheim
     SEM (back-to-back diodes plus resistor divider) which prevents runaway
     oscillation of the filter at high Q settings. This seems to work well
     and the component values could be adjusted by the builder for a
     different max Q value if desired. If the sawtooth waveforms are run at
     full volume into the 100K VCF inputs (unity VCF gain) at high Q
     settings you will hear a kind of screeching distortion which reminded
     me strongly of the Korg MS-20 filters. If you pad down the filter
     inputs to about 60% the sound becomes very clean.

     The VCA's work well, as do the envelope generators. The noise
     generator volume is quite loud but there is a trimpot for this and
     mine is turned up all the way.

     I'm working on a panel to hold all the pots and jacks so that I can do
     full testing of all envelope times etc. The batch of circuit boards
     will probably be ready in a week or two.

     - Gene
     gstopp at fibermux.com