AW: Colored Noise?

Haible_Juergen#Tel2743 HJ2743 at denbgm3xm.scnn1.msmgate.m30x.nbg.scn.de
Thu Mar 14 20:20:00 CET 1996

> In looking at various noise source schematics, it seems that White, Pink
and
> Random are the most common "colors" for noise sources.
>
> There was a review of the Doepfler (sp?) modules floating 'round the net
at
> one time and their noise source includes knobs to blend the level of Red
and
> Blue noise.
>
> Does anyone know of a source that would explain what these various color
> types represent?
>
> Are any of them (other than White, Pink and Random) musically useful???

It' a rough analogy to light.
White light = all frequencies.
Red = lowest (visible) frequency, violett = highest frequency.

"Pink" noise is a well defined spectral density of noise: It's white
noise that is filtered with -3dB/8ve. As there is no natural way to
do this with electronic components, pink noise is approximated by
several 6dB filter stages. "Several" varies from one (bad) to about
seven (very good).
Noise that is filtered with standard 6dB slopes is much easier to produce,
and it surely is musical useful as well. As the slope is steeper than with
pink noise, it's reasonable to call it "red" instead of "pink". This is for
low pass filtering. If we use a highpass, it's reasonable to call it "blue".
Sort of. But it's all just names, and few noise sources that are called
"pink"
are really good -3dB slopes.
And, *every* noise can be useful in the right mucical context.
And, remember, Doepfer modules have to be *cheap* in first place!

Speaking of Doepfer: Got the new (German magazine) KEYs, with a large
review of the new Doepfer modules. Not bad; seems that Doepfer
finally brings the interesting stuff now! (Even a vocoder module).
If it wasn't for the tiny jacks, I'd consider to buy a few modules to
supplement
my own Modular. But, as one reviewer stated: If You're plugging in the
10th cord, the first ones start to fall out of the jacks again ...

JH.