building my first synthesiser

Rich Holmes rsholmes at mailbox.syr.edu
Tue Jan 30 22:15:42 CET 1996

haines at quick.net (Matt Haines) writes:
>While wringing a wet dish-towel bare-handed, DocteurU at info.polymtl.ca remark=
>ed:
>
>>        I want to build a midi controlled (note on and off only) monophonic
>>synthesiser which will consist of:
>>
>>        1 VCO Module
>>        1 VCF Module
>>        1 Envelope (Attack Decay) Module
>The MIDI bit's the hardest part. You're better off buying a midi/cv
>converter, and then controlling the cv inputs of the synth with it, if that
>doesn't violate the purpose of the exercise.

... and if that doesn't violate your bank account!  I mean, come on --
does it *really* make any sense to shell out a couple hundred bucks or
more on a MIDI->CV box to control something on the order of a PAiA
Gnome?

Or am I woefully ignorant on the subject of how cheap a MIDI->CV box
can be had for?  The lowest price I know of is for the Fatman (with a
synth thrown in for free), at $150 if you don't mind doing the
soldering and making your own rack panel and if you're driving linear,
not exponential, modules.

Seems like, if PAiA can put that into a $150 synth kit, it ought to be
possible for a DIYer to build a simple MIDI->CV module for under 40
bucks.  In fact, why not build the digital section of the Fatman?

If one did so, would it be merely a software (firmware) hack to make
it drive exponential modules?

--
- Rich Holmes

    "Not every tradition, however entrenched, is attractive.  Some
	 should be closed down immediately." -- Miss Manners