EN Frequency Shifter

gstopp at fibermux.com gstopp at fibermux.com
Fri Jan 26 22:12:11 CET 1996

     Hi List,

     Now that the PCC is starting to make its way around I've noticed a lot
     of interest in the Frequency Shifter. In case you're wondering how the
     heck the thing sounds ( I always did before I built one myself), I
     figured I'd try to help out.

     OK go out and find a video store that carries the episodes of the
     "Outer Limits". That's the old 60's show, not the current cable TV
     version. Find the episode called "The Galaxy Being" and rent it. This
     was the pilot episode for the series, starring a very young Cliff
     Robertson. It's actually a really cool episode and stands well to this
     day among the best of sci-fi Hollywood productions. But that's beside
     the point.

     Anyway the alien dude (played by William O. Douglas fer chrissake's)
     voice effect is somebody talking through a frequency shifter. Actually
     considering the era of this show, it was probably done by using a ham
     radio tuned off-station or some other single-sideband radio jock
     trick. But the sound is the same. Build the EN frequency shifter, hook
     a mike into it, start talking and turning knobs, and you've got the
     dead ringer.

     - Gene
     gstopp at fibermux.com