More DIY crap...

gstopp at fibermux.com gstopp at fibermux.com
Thu Feb 29 23:05:43 CET 1996

     JDM wrote:

     >Gene wrote:
     >
     >> In the same way much of synthesizer technology is running away from
     >> us. So in order to keep up I think it may be good for hobbyists to
     >> pursue back-breaking digital implementations of fairly mundane
     >> functions. Knowledge is power.
     >
     >Where do you draw the line w/ DIY?  My philosophy is to buy what I
     >can, and build what I can't buy.  If someone wrote "I'm hand-wrapping
     >my own power supply transformers", wouldn't you feel compelled to
     >tell them they could buy a transformer for US$10?

     Custom IC's, programmed parts, SOIC's, PLCC's, embedded code, and
     surface mount stuff in general means that most modern electronic music
     products are beyond the capabilites of our beloved test benches. So my
     thought is that those who don't know how these things work already
     will never get the chance to figure it out themselves by burning their
     fingers. Virtual understanding will never match that which is learned
     by doing. (Here's a jab for the hackers --->) The best programmers are
     the ones who started in hardware. One will never understand the power
     of electricity until it courses through one's body.

     Ooops sorry gettin' a little pretentious there.... :-)

     So it's good to encourage people to get burned. Blowing up chips is good
     for the soul. It's also good to do an occaisional sanity check (good job
     JDM - we tend to forget what we believe in unless we are motivated to tell
     somebody once in a while).

     For some people the philosphy is "build what I can, buy what I can't
     build". As for what I would tell somebody who is trying to hand-wrap
     their own power transformers, it depends on whether their goal is to
     build a power supply quickly or learn about power magnetics. The
     former is naive; the latter is sophisticated.

     - Gene
     gstopp at fibermux.com