Idea for a CV quantizer

gstopp at fibermux.com gstopp at fibermux.com
Thu Feb 29 21:52:06 CET 1996

     Juergen,

     I've had very good results from 6-bit R-2R ladders for semitone
     intervals at 1v/octave. I match 1% resistors with a DVM first just to
     be safe.

     Summing resistors I've never tried, and it seems to me that you would
     need a trimpot for every bit.

     I know that Joachim likes the chip DAC idea, but I once had back luck
     with a 1408 and have not tried any chip since (maybe it's a good
     approach and I just don't know it).

     Guidelines - make sure your bits go between exactly between zero volts
     and VCC, and use resistors in the 1K-50K range, and all will be
     stable.

     - Gene