Designing a Patchable Modular Synthesizer with Memory

Clive Jones CJones at sni.co.uk
Wed Feb 21 21:42:00 CET 1996

Hi Chaps

I thought I'd share this with you. A couple of years ago I was pondering
with the idea of designing a patchable analogue modular synthesizer which
actually *remembered* were the patch leads were meant to be connected, I
don't know whether this has actually ever been done. The idea was to use
somebody else's VCO, VCF, LFO (etcetera) designs that were proven and
thereby preventing me from all the design headaches and swatting over
text books on oscillator and filter design techniques, and integrate them
with a digital system for patch recall and pot scan. Each module would
plug into a "backplane" that supplied power and the bus for the digital
interface. Each module would be uniquely "coded" with a 5-bit binary
ident number which the uP would recognise as being on the backplane -
this meant that any module could be plugged into any position and
detected by a regular or one-shot power up scan routine. Also the
firmware would have images of each modules front panel layout of pots and
switches, each module having an inbuilt 4x4 switch matrix (for an obvious
maximum of 16 front panel switches per module) and pot-scan handled by a
cheap ADC with 7 or 8 bit resolution - this would leave the uP to handle
everything other than those tasks listed above. The uP would remember the
patch lead settings by using a three pole jack socket that sent the host
module ID number on *one* ring, and received the connected modules ID
number on another - the third ring would be used for the analogue CV or
Gate or audio signal (depending on it's use of course) but *only* after a
handshake had been established between the two connected modules (they
were talking to each other). Each jack socket would have an LED above it
that would light when connection was established - the same LED would
indicate that a connection was necessary if a patch was recalled from
memory. The idea was that before recalling a patch the patch leads were
removed, you then entered the patch number and the uP would flash the
LED's above the sockets of the first two modules to be connected, when
this was done the microprocessor stepped you through each individual
patch connection until complete. I planned a small backlit LCD display as
well which could be for programming information, and a neat little
backlit keypad which would recall and one of the 100 programs I had
planned for. The uP was going to be my pet favourite Rockwell 6502. It
seems that as I have very little time on my hands nowadays to do such
things so I hope that anyone wishing build a similar unit gets some ideas
from this post - *except* greedheads hoping to make a quick buck that is!

Sorry no jokes this post chaps.

Clive

/<c.jones at sni.co.uk> / ...and on the 8th day
/01344 850213 Work   / God made Synthesizers
/01344 850209/291 Fax/ ...and God was called
/01628 602106 Home   /   ' Tom Oberheim '