Vocoders

Jeremy Brookes jezz at mbox.gaiacom.co.uk
Tue Feb 20 09:44:33 CET 1996

Has anyone got any info on vocoders? I'm ok with the basic idea (filter
banks, full wave rectifier into a low pass for envelope following then
controlling vca's on the output of a filter banks on the other signal) but I
was wondering how they worked in practice. How many filters in the bank?
What's the cut-off for the low-pass envelope follower? What are the filter
bandwidths; octaves? third-octaves? I've modelled some of the theory in
Matlab (a maths program) and it seems to work. Now I want to put into
hardware, either analogue or DSP but I was searching for more info before I
commit to a design.

Thanks.

Jezz.

Try my website @ http://www.gaiacom.co.uk/users/jezz/