Please help with logic IC families...

Christopher List Christopher_List at sonymusic.com
Thu Feb 15 11:56:32 CET 1996

Hi Gang,

I picked up The Art of Electronics a week or two ago (great book) and was
browsing through when I noticed the table of logic IC families (74C, HC, AC,
4000, blah, blah). It must've been an omen because the next day I get a
shipment of IC's that I ordered and the 4016's are labeled:
HCF4016B

- I didn't know what to make of it. Everything I've done so far has been with
+15v power supplies, and so I've always just ordered 4000 stuff without much
thought. I usually got CD4000 from the suppliers, used 'em, no problem. So I
try looking this chip up in the book. It's got the  HC line that runs on +5 or
+6, and the 4000B line that runs on +15  - but nothing with both. So I tried it
an it works (so far) - but that's never good enough for me. I'm confused and I
hate that.

Should this thing be at +15? Is this some kind of high-speed +15v CMOS. What
about the 74C -  I see they're 15v as well? But the CD54HC4000A is 5v - right?

Some simple rules of thumb would be greatly appreciated. I always thought the
major groups of modern IC's were "74" types (5v) and "CD4xxx" types (15v) - but
The AofE tells me that's not so - and it doesn't clarify some of these
seemingly "cross-named" IC's. My world is coming apart - all is chaos and
entropy. Please help...

Thanks,
- CL
(No TV)