MIDI-CV converters (was: Building my first synth...)

gstopp at fibermux.com gstopp at fibermux.com
Tue Feb 6 18:10:59 CET 1996

     Well I wuz thinkin' about this some more...

     See we gots too many PCs lying around at home. My wife is a serious PC
     head (she writes token ring drivers fer chrissake's) and she HATES the
     fact that I have an old XT with a CGA monitor WASTING space on the
     shelf. She wants me to donate it to a school for the tax writeoff or
     put bulbs (the plant kind) in it or something. Give her a Pentium or
     give her death. Even my Mac's in storage right now (what THAT
     glorified video game?).

     But I look at the old XT with fond memories of Texture and Personal
     Composer and hacking out my own MIDI datascope programs and random
     MIDI message generators and all that fun stuff from my pre-marital
     party days. It has a perfectly good first-generation MPU-401 in it and
     hey - it's in good running condition. So I thinks - perfect MIDI to CV
     development platform! All I need is some D/A output hardware.

     Here's my list of potential approaches:

     * D/A card in PC slot - minimized throughput bottlenecks

     * Sample/hold updated single D/A converter - cuts D/A cost

     * No sample/holds, one D/A per CV - more D/A cost, simpler

     * D/A card on parallel port - some reduction in throughput

     * D/A card on serial port - even more reduction in throughput

     * CPU-updated sample/holds - no shared RAM required

     * Sampled/holds updated by shared RAM - offloads CPU

     I do have some concerns about D/A accuracy. I have had a lot of
     success with driving an R-2R ladder with a CMOS-output latch, and less
     success with single chip D/A's, at least for CV generation. However
     this was years ago and things may be a lot better these days as far as
     the chip solution goes. Time to pound the databooks I guess.

     If the hardware were to use the serial port for computer control, then
     it would be cross-platform compatible (Atari, Amiga, Mac, etc.) at
     least from the hardware angle.

     Anybody recommend a good book on IBM PC bus architecture, address and
     databuss access, and parallel port signalling?

     Hey maybe I can get my wife to write the driver.

     - Gene
     gstopp at fibermux.com