(analogue) trigger inputs of D-4

Haible_Juergen#Tel2743 HJ2743 at denbgm3xm.scnn1.msmgate.m30x.nbg.scn.de
Fri Feb 2 20:54:00 CET 1996

Hi!

I got an analogue (;->) question for those who use the trigger inputs
of an Alesis D-4 drum machine.
What I want is integrating the D-4 into my analogue modular system:
routing the trigger inputs to a patchbay and firing the drums from
analogue sequencers / clock dividers etc.
Problem: When I apply a gate pulse to one of the trigger inputs,
the D-4 triggers *several times*  on a single gate pulse.
I also tried level adjustment, i.e. triggering it with a sequencer's
CV output instead of the gate output. This works much better,
and I even can play the D-4 dynamically with different levels for
each step of the sequencer, but there are still some multiple triggers.
I guess that the D-4 has some adaptive algorithm that allows using
it with different levels from Mic signals (I doubt they have 12 discrete
compressors, though), because sometimes a cycle runs thru as
intended, and sometimes there are several multi tiggers. The
behaviour changes randomly.
Well, some unpredictance is nice with a tamburin sound, but not
so with a bass drum - so can anybode share his experience how
to get the D-4 triggered in a more predictable way? Any recommendations
for attenuators / simple low pass filters etc.?

Thanks in advance,

JH.