chassis grounding

gstopp at fibermux.com gstopp at fibermux.com
Sat Aug 10 00:59:54 CEST 1996

     Within a self-contained system such as a synthesizer I always just
     ground everything together - the circuit board ground, the panel, the
     jacks, the box, and the third prong of the AC power cord. Works fine
     for me so far. I think that you only run into ground loop problems
     when interconnecting machines together whose AC power comes from
     different and/or distant outlets.

     You can lift the synthesizer housing from the third prong if you want
     to avoid potential ground loop problems. What I would do in that case
     is make sure that the power supply ground terminal (usually the center
     tap of the bipolar supply transformer winding) is connected to the
     box, jacks, and circuit board ground.

     - Gene
     gstopp at fibermux.com