What is the data of this Zener?

Rick Jansen sscprick at horus.sara.nl
Fri Aug 2 09:39:36 CEST 1996

In message <199608012128.OAA00152 at redshirt.tholian.web> you write:
> >I'm building the moog ladder-filter found on hyperreal.com, and on
> >the scematic there is this little annoyance. It's a small zener
> >diode, but I dont know the voltage and wattage of this thing. The
> >type number is LM329.
> >
> >Is there anybody out there who knows the stats for this?
>
> Go to http://www.natsemi.com/design/index.html and do a search on
> LM329.  In case you can't, it's a fancy 6.9V reference with up to 15ma
> current handling.  I think somebody here mentioned a while back that a
> 6.9V zener would work nearly as well, it's just that National
> Semiconductor was trying to encourage use of their more expensive
> product.

I'm the originator of that Moog VCF circuit, be sure to fetch the
latest schematic from my web page, th eone on hyperreal.com is outdated.
If you're interested there's also a PCB available.

LM329 is not a regular zener, it's a chip that behaves like a zener
and delivers a voltage that is not influenced by temperature changes.
You need it to set the temperature precisely, independent of ambient
air temperature. For a filter I'd recommend leaving out the heater,
I added it as a "plus".

Rick Jansen
__
rick at sara.nl   http://www.sara.nl/Rick.Jansen