Why Epoxy Encapsulation?

Sean Costello costello at costello.seanet.com
Thu Aug 1 09:55:19 CEST 1996

Hi y'all,

I was just wondering, is there any practical reason for encapsulating a
circuit in epoxy?  I know that ARP and E-mu packaged many of their
submodules in epoxy; I believe that my E-mu catalog talks about the reason
for this being "thermal stabiliy."  Is this true?  Can placing components in
epoxy help keep the temperature at a stable level?  Or is this just an
excuse to hide your circuits away from prying eyes, so as to keep them from
being copied (or to conceal the fact that you have copied another circuit)?

Thanks,

Sean Costello