Voltage control

gstopp at fibermux.com gstopp at fibermux.com
Thu Aug 29 18:58:19 CEST 1996

     The LED/photoresistor idea is a good one. Using this method you can
     retrofit voltage controlled time constants onto the existing EG's in
     your commercial gear. A while back I built a programmable semi-modular
     around a Minimoog head, and at first I used LED/photoresistor doodads
     on the EG's. These I made with photoresistor cells from Radio Shack
     plus standard red LED's with series resistors, sealed into little
     units with black heat-shrink tubing. However, the control range was
     limited (I'm trying to remember what the problem was... well there was
     something that wasn't quite right about them....I forget excatly
     what).

     Anyway when Will Alexander and I re-built Emerson's Moog we replaced
     these crummy photo-things on the EG's with "Vac-Teks" (sp?) and they
     are great for this. We had some extra so I put them in my Minimoog
     project and so it is to this day. I think you can still get these
     Vac-Tek things, but I'm not sure where (anybody?).

     You can't just replace the 1M pots in a standard EG with
     transconductance amps - they are not true voltage-controlled
     resistors. A photoresistor is a true resistor, and if you add an LED
     it becomes a current-controlled resistor, and if you add a series
     resistor to the LED the whole mess becomes a voltage-controlled
     resistor. You can build voltage-controlled resistors with discrete
     components or multiple transconductance amps, but then you gotta ask
     yourself how complicated you want to make things. The Vac-Teks sure
     are easy.

     If you're into building a voltage-controlled EG from the ground up,
     that's much easier than a standard EG design with VC resistors, but
     then again you gotta ask yourself how much work you want to do. It
     still is possible to dig deep and scrounge up a couple CEM 3310's or
     SSM 2050's, and these are very simple and wide-range EG's.

     But then again if you use photoresistors, and if you mount them on the
     outside of the synth and don't seal them against outside light, you
     can make yourself a light-sensitive kind of "Theremin EG" body
     proximity-controlled EG time synth (be the first on your block!).

     - Gene
     gstopp at fibermux.com