Why Epoxy Encapsulation?

Mark Pulver mpulver at wwa.com
Thu Aug 1 16:07:09 CEST 1996

At 12:55 AM 8/1/96 -0700, Sean Costello said:

>I was just wondering, is there any practical reason for encapsulating a
>circuit in epoxy?

When ARP started doing it, the industry was pretty wild in protecting their
sound mechanics. So, epoxy was an easy way to keep honest folks honest.

The thermal stability side of it all was real as well, I'm sure that other
folks here will talk about that, but my take on it was always towards the
land of protecting company secrets (or, as you say, potential design borrowing).

mark