ASM-1 Parts; MIDI->CV

gstopp at fibermux.com gstopp at fibermux.com
Thu Apr 25 18:17:17 CEST 1996

     Yeah I admit it the parts list is for the circuit board only. Since
     the panel is a matter of the personal preference of the builder, I
     left that open. You can try to use psychic energy if you think it will
     work :)

     *But* I did write up a "suggested panel connections" page for each
     module, which shows a very generic modular setup. I suppose I should
     post a list of all the suggested panel parts, since this will be a
     major fraction of the cost of the final system (depending on the
     resources of the builder).

     I would consider the absolute minimum number of panel pots to be:

     VCO 1 Fine Tune
     VCO 1 Coarse Tune
     VCO 1 Initial Pulse Width

     VCO 2 Fine Tune
     VCO 2 Coarse Tune
     VCO 2 Initial Pulse Width

     VCF Cutoff Frequency
     VCF Resonance

     ADSR 1 Attack
     ADSR 1 Decay
     ADSR 1 Sustain
     ADSR 1 Release

     ADSR 2 Attack
     ADSR 2 Decay
     ADSR 2 Sustain
     ADSR 2 Release

     VCA 1 Initial Gain
     VCA 2 Initial Gain

     LFO Rate

     Glide (Portamento) Amount

     The Coarse Tune pots on the VCO could be octave rotary switches if
     desired. You may even be able to get rid of the Fine Tune pots if you
     use 10-turn or 20-turn panel pots for the Coarse Tune.

     As for any additional controls - there's two primary approaches to
     modulation routing in modular synthesizers - I'll call them the "Moog
     approach" and the "Emu approach".

     The Moog approach is to put all the minimum pots on each module, and
     dealing with modulation depths and signal strengths (really the same
     thing in a true modular) by the use of attenuators and mixers on
     seperate panels.

     The Emu approach is to provide all of the minimum pots on each module,
     and then provide additional pots on each module as input level
     controls for the audio as well as the CV inputs. The modules become
     more complex and costly, but more self-contained.

     Whatever you want to do. feel free. The Emu approach will probably
     cost more and take up more panel space, and lots of pots will go
     un-used most of the time, but it sure is easy to make patches.

     Regarding the CV and Gate inputs - the VCO and VCF CV inputs are
     exponential at 1 volt per octave. The Gate input is a positive
     V-trigger, with the threshold adjustable on a trimpot on each ADSR to
     be anywhere between ground and +15 volts. There is no pulse trigger
     input - the ADSR's require only a Gate input (positive voltage as long
     as a key is held down).

     As for MIDI to CV converters - the builder has to provide this. I
     personally intend to use CV keyboards, or finish up that PC-based
     MIDI-CV thing I started (i.e. put it in a box) or maybe even use an
     MPU-101 (what a great little box *that* is!). I have no experience
     with the PAIA or Kenton stuff, so maybe others can advise as well.

     - Gene
     gstopp at fibermux.com