portamento circuit

gstopp at fibermux.com gstopp at fibermux.com
Mon Apr 22 18:55:24 CEST 1996

     Yes publish it - will it fit as an ASCIImatic? Let's compare notes. I
     have made linear/exponential switched glide circuits. Usually what I
     make is two op-amps, in a row, with the R/C in between them. The
     second op-amp is always a buffer, but the first is switchable between
     a buffer (for exponential) or a comparator (for linear). The (-) input
     of the first op-amp has a SPDT switch between the outputs of either
     the first or second op-amp. Works great.

     However one thing I've always found is that the glide time in linear
     mode seems subjectively shorter than the glide time in exponential
     mode. In other words, if you set the linear glide time to some medium
     value, then flick the switch to exponential mode, the glide becomes
     very long. This of course is due to the fact that linear glide times
     depend on how far apart the notes are, whereas expo glide takes the
     same amount of time no matter how far apart the notes are. Therefore
     in expo mode it can be thought of that the notes are always the
     maximum distance apart, no matter how close they are to each other.

     The only way around this I can think of is to use a DPDT switch and
     switch in a larger capacitor when linear mode is selected. any
     thoughts?

     - Gene
     gstopp at fibermux.com