3080A (+4dB vs -10dB)

Bob Zimmer bzimmer at voicenet.com
Mon Apr 22 15:16:56 CEST 1996

>     Somebody else needs to answer the +4dB question because I've totally
>     forgotten if it's dBm or dBv (my brain is stuck on dBm cuz I work with
>     lasers all the time).

+4dBu is the standard level for Professional Recording and Studio gear.
-10dBv is the level for home or Semi-Pro gear.  The +4dBu level is
approximately 4x hotter than the -10dBv level.  Also +4dBu generally equates
to balanced lines using XLR connectors where as -10dBv equates to unbalanced
lines using 1/4" phone connectors.

I have some articles at home that explain this in even more depth than you
probably want.  I'll dig one up and try to equate these levels to actual
voltages tomorrow.