3080A

gstopp at fibermux.com gstopp at fibermux.com
Fri Apr 19 19:57:36 CEST 1996

     You have the standard figured out - within the patching realm of the
     modular, levels *should* be at 5 volt amplitudes (on mosts systems,
     anyway). This keeps the modulation ranges high (like 10 octaves for a
     +/- 5v signal) and keeps the S/N ratios high. Once you leave the patch
     panel and go to the rest of your sound system, you have to pad things
     down quite a bit. I usually go out through an spare attenuator after
     the final VCA or mixer, turned way down. This is cool when you're
     jamming with friends because you have *way* too much headroom on your
     main volume ("a little closer to the PA speaker, a little closer,
     THERE you &^%%$#%$@$ guitarist ha ha!).

     Somebody else needs to answer the +4dB question because I've totally
     forgotten if it's dBm or dBv (my brain is stuck on dBm cuz I work with
     lasers all the time).

     - Gene
     gstopp at fibermux.com