Arpeggio schematics

honcho at paia.com honcho at paia.com
Fri Apr 19 17:23:41 CEST 1996

On Sun, 7 Apr 1996, "Erik The ViKing" <E.G.P.Schuijers at stud.tue.nl>
wrote:
>Hi guys,
>
>I've been working on some kind of scanning system for an arpeggio
without
>using any CPU!!!!   ...
>Erik

It may be viewed as pretty dumb to say something about this after so
much time has passed, but I've had digital problems on a grand scale

The PAiA 4782 keyboard was this way. It was a simple scanner, N key
encoder deal that sent a strobe when the key being scanned was down.
The big job of the scanner was to encode key closures for the 8700
computer which could be installed in the case, but so that people
could sort of "ease into" the computer part it also did this
arpeggiation trick without the computer. To do this, the strobe was
fed back through a time delay and stopped the clock momentarily when
it found a closed key. The strobe also clocked the new key number data
into the DAC.

It was pretty hot stuff, back in them days ...

-John

John Simonton                  PAiA Electronics, Inc
3200 Teakwood Ln.              honcho at paia.com
Edmond OK 73013                http://www.paia.com
405-340-6300                   fax 405-340-6378