Odyssey filter repair

gstopp at fibermux.com gstopp at fibermux.com
Wed Apr 17 17:59:04 CEST 1996

     I've had two "dead filter" Odysseys. One had a potted VCF (sealed) so
     I replaced it with the VCF from my stupid piece of crap spare parts
     Omni, and the other was open to the world so I replaced the LM3900 and
     it was good as new.

     If you have a truly dead VCF and it's potted, I'd give the following
     advice:

     1. Talk to one of those outfits that has replacement modules for ARPs

     2. Find a junk Omni/Soloist for $50 or less and steal the VCF

     3. Make yer own!

     I've made my own modules before, just use vectorboard and match the
     pin configuration. This does take some analysis of the surrounding
     motherboard to figure out. (I have a 2600 with a CEM chip for VCO 1
     and a 3080 for the VCA). You gotta be a little whacko to go this far,
     but aren't we all to some extent?

     I remember fixing a VCO - it was the 4011 CMOS NAND gate. Can't
     remember if it was "A" series or "B" series CMOS, or if it mattered
     (Joachim, are you reading this?).

     Sliders can be found at surplus shops. Watch out, there's 100K and 1M
     and it does make a difference in the envelope generators for example.
     I think I've had to compromise and use linear taper rather than audio,
     but that never bothers me.

     Keep at it! Even if you gut the thing you can still use the keyboard
     and the case maybe for a DIY project. Most of the hassle with a DIY
     synth is the enclosure and panel. The Odyssey is a very cool machine,
     very ergonomic IMHO. The patching method of parallel input attenuators
     on each module, with a source select switch, is really ingenious and
     one of the reasons that the Odyssey is equally at home making musical
     sounds or spaceship noises. I have an old schematic and on it an old
     electronics buddy of mine wrote these prophetic words:

     "The Odyssey is one of the best-designed synthesizers on the market,
     both from an engineering and a musician's point of view. It merits
     close study."

     - Gene
     gstopp at fibermux.com