AW: Looking for advice on power distribution

Haible_Juergen#Tel2743 HJ2743 at denbgm3xm.scnn1.msmgate.m30x.nbg.scn.de
Mon Apr 15 21:25:00 CEST 1996

>     So if you do distribute raw D.C., it's probably a good idea to put
>     some current-limiting devices in line. Fuses would be good, and if you

>     want to get fancy you can install some of those resettable positive
>     temperature coefficient thingeys (PTC's) which you don't have to
>     replace when they blow (you just let them cool off).

Or use pre-regulators (+/-18V) for the whole system and a +/-15V regulator
on each PCB.
As some modules require local reference voltages anyway, this is not
as much of an overkill as you might think at first glance.
Don't use 7815/7915 regulators - I only had problems with these in my
pre-regulated system.  Due to some strange interaction between the
different modules (perhaps caused by different currents for positive and
negative branch?) the negative voltage always came first and often
made the positive 15V-regulator shut off.
Since I use these tiny +/-15V tracking regulators (4195), everything is
just fine.

JH.