While we're talkin' about SSM VCA's...

gstopp at fibermux.com gstopp at fibermux.com
Sat Apr 13 00:44:14 CEST 1996

     I guess what I'm trying to do is come up with some discrete designs
     for all types of synthesizer modules to get around the chip
     availability problems. Also building discrete circuits gives total
     control of all parameters, like pulse width modulation thresholds and
     envelope times and low/high frequency ranges etc. You can bring out
     all the guts for input and output, and whether or not these get used
     is the option of the builder. And always the goal is to make them with
     parts that anybody can get, not just industry engineers who play golf
     with distributor reps every week.

     Chips, whether they are available or not, are really intended for mass
     production. You can see that AD chips are geared for console
     manufacturers, for example. Some of them have specifications that are
     so good that it's hard to justify building a discrete version, like
     the AD multipliers or the SSM precision parts, but they cost a lot of
     money and you have to special-order them.

     Some DIY gear is a one-time deal, for personal benefit. I can safely
     say that I'll never build another Frequency Shifter now that I have
     one, and it's got four AD532's in it (which are considered obsolete by
     AD, BTW). But how will we ever not need another VCO? Or VCF, or
     envelope generator? These modules are the bread and butter of analog
     enthusiasts, and even when one enthusiast gets his fill and calls it
     quits, another young one sprouts up with a fresh demand.

     - Gene
     gstopp at fibermux.com