Looking for advice on power distribution

Bob Zimmer bzimmer at voicenet.com
Fri Apr 12 18:36:34 CEST 1996

I remember there had been a discussion on power distribution, but didn't
catch all of the messages.

In designing a fair size modular system of 30 or so modules, it has occurred
to me that there are two ways to distribute power to the separate modules.

First, a large linear or switched supply (3A or so) sending power down buss
lines that are connected to the modules.

Second, a large rectified supply (3 to 5 amp xfmr, bridge rectifier, main
filter cap) sending power down buss lines that are connected to the modules
and then having separate small regulators (78L15, 79L15, 78L05 etc) with
small caps surrounding them on each board.  This would add about $1.50 to
each module, but if it would be a better and safer approach, it would be
worth it.

Any comments on which would be the best approach?
I realize that this is mundane to EE's, but for those of us who aren't ...

Thanks in advance!
Bob Zimmer