About VCF's

Ullrich Peter ullrich at kapsch.co.at
Wed Apr 10 07:59:58 CEST 1996

>     Hi DIY'ers,
>
>     I'd like to know if anybody on the list has ever built a 4-pole
>     lowpass VCF using four identical 3080 OTA integrator stages, like the
>     4-pole from the Electronotes ENS-73 series (right around issue #41).
>
>     * How did it sound?
>
>     * How did it handle distortion?
>
>     * Are the individual offset trims on each OTA critical, or do you just
>       have to trim the overall offset?
>
>     Also, how about the same filter type, except using better OTA's like
>     the 13600 or 3280? Anything sound like an SSM2040?
>
>     Sadly the SSM2040 is a scarce part. When I built one of those I was
>     quite surprised at the warmth of it. I've been reading the thread on
>     the "Secrets of the 2040", and I wonder if rather than trying to bias
>     a CEM3320, if a discrete design has ever been found that sounds as
>     good (except maybe an original Moog ladder).
>
>     Also, I've sent an email to Analog Devices about the availability of
>     the SSM 2044/2045/2047, no response yet. Their Designer's Reference
>     databook says that these are not in normal production but are still
>     available, and I've never tried them. Are they as wonderful as the
>     2040?
>
>     Thanks,
>
>     - Gene
>     gstopp at fibermux.com

Hi !

Taday I got a datasheet from Analog Devices of the SSM2164. It is a low cost
quad VCA.

Features:
  4 high performance VCAs in single package (DIP 16 or SOIC 16)
  100dB dynamic range
  0.02% THD
  no ext. trimming
  120dB gain range
  0.07dB gain matching
  class A or AB operation

Sounds very interesting - sorry I don´t know the price...

Peter

        \|/
       (o o)
                    Ing. Peter Ullrich     mailto: ullrich at kapsch.co.at
                    Hardware & Software Developer / Electronic Musician
   .oooO            KAPSCH AG / SGB2                   Vienna / Austria
   (   )   Oooo.            Traffic Control and Transmission Technology
           (_/