How do you scope a current source?

Don Tillman don at till.com
Fri Apr 5 18:27:57 CEST 1996

   Date: Thu, 4 Apr 1996 18:15:52 +0000 ()
   From: "J.D. McEachin" <jdm at synthcom.com>

   Ob DIY:  How do you check out a current source on a scope?  I have a DAC
   that I'm trying to figure out if it's good or bad, and I would think that
   putting a resistor between the probe and DAC output would give me
   something to measure.  I'm not seeing anything.  Am I missing something
   obvious, or is the DAC bad?

That ought'a be placing the resistor between the DAC output and
*ground*.  Scope probe to the DAC output.

The resistor should be a low value, and the scope sensitivity needs to
be turned up high, and it's Ohm's law all the way.