Squarerooting transistors.

Christopher List Christopher_List at sonymusic.com
Thu Apr 4 14:55:09 CEST 1996

Howdy DIYers,

I'm building this Serge-like mixer panel using hot-off the press SSM2164 quad
VCA's. One  2164 per mixer channel. One VCA for the gain, two for the pan, and
one for the gain CV. The problem is that they have an exponential voltage
control input and I want the control of the gain CV to be linear.

What I'm wondering is this: You can use two transistors to create an
exponential current source from a linear input voltage. Is there a way to wire
them in reverse so that you have a square-root (reverse log?) voltage source
from a linear input current?
Just a point in the proper direction would be helpful.

- Thanks,
Chris

ps
Note that for the 2164, 0v in = 0 attenuation, and 5 or 10 v in = max
attenuation. If I can't find an easy way to do this I'll just "waste" one of
the VCA's on the 2164 and use a 3080 or something instead.