sue you, sue me

Matt Haines haines at quick.net
Tue Apr 2 20:57:15 CEST 1996

OK, I got a question that's just for my own curiousity.

We've all heard how Roland was possibly sued over borrowing Moog ladder
technology for their filters, but replacing transistors with diodes instead
(or whatever it is, don't flame me for the details). What would have
happened if Roland had put those diodes on a chip? Or for that matter, put
a transistor ladder on a chip? How would Moog be able to prove it if the
thing's burned into an IC? You can't just pop the hood of a synth and look.
I ask because I was looking at the schems of my SH101, and they use a
proprietary filter chip. But the bits outside the chip look a bit
ladder-ish, and I started wondering if they'd gotten away with something.
So how could anyone tell?

Yes I know the point is moog...er, moot now, but not knowing the ins and
outs of ICs, I thought I'd ask.

Matt Haines  haines at quick.net
control-X:to:abort:transmission.

"I wonder what else works. ... ¢ÜÖÿùdeÇüéâäàå Cool!  I'm a foreigner!" -
Ric Miller