AW: SSM vs. CEM Chips

Rick Jansen sscprick at horus.sara.nl
Tue Jun 13 10:19:57 CEST 1995

If anyone is *really* craving for SSM chips, here's an article from
Netnews:

Article: 55060 of rec.music.makers.synth
From: James Husted <jhusted at halcyon.com>
Newsgroups: rec.music.makers.synth
Subject: Re: modular builder looking for SSM, CEM chips
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 1995 22:32:32 -0700

This is a re-post of some stuff I'm selling that you might be interested in.
I also have numerous other ssm chips also (2014,2015,2016,2018,2110,2120
etc.) but in small quantities.

Here are some SSM chips I've had for years and have finally decided to let
go of. They have been tested where possible (if I have circuitry that uses
the same chips). The chips come with data sheets, and if available, with
application notes. The prices reflect what I consider to be market value
based on similar parts (Curtis etc) and on what they are worth for me to
part with them. If they seem high to you please don't flame me about it,
just don't buy them. The quantities listed are what I have in stock and
will be sold on a first come, first served basis (based on when email is
recieved) except if someone wants to out-bid others before they are shipped.
Here's the list with brief descriptions given. If you need more info
just e me.

IC:             Description:                                      QTY     $US
                                                                         EACH
SSM2040         4-section VCF w/10,000:1 freq range. Can be made   10    $40
(tested)        into almost any filter design - 24db/oct lowpass
                or hipass, bandpass, allpass, notch, biquad,
                state varible, multi-mode etc. This is the older
                version of the SSM2044. The main difference is
                that the transconductance amps have separate ins
                and outs and so all filter types can be realized.
                Note: to get voltage-controlled resonace you'll need an
                external VCA in a feed-back loop arrangment.

SSM2200         DYNAFEX(TM) noise reduction system. Basically a     2    $30
                30db single ended noise reduction chip that's a
                VCA/VCF/THRESHOLD DETECTOR/PEAK DETECTOR/DOWNWARD
                EXPANDER in one unit that makes a level dependent
                filter open up when there's sound present.

The filter chips are great for the 24dB/oct filters found on ARP's and
the old modular E-Mu's (which of course built by the founders of SSM).
The SSM2040 also can be configured to be a 12dB/oct LP/BP/HP (and with
some external tricks a Notch filter) at the same time like an Oberhiem SEM.

If you buy all 10 You can make one MONSTER VC-EQ!