<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<HTML><HEAD><TITLE>RE: [sdiy] [Fwd: [AH] Allen Strange Book]</TITLE>
<META http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">
<META content="MSHTML 5.50.4522.1800" name=GENERATOR>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>I had the Strange book back in 1972 and it was the 
most comprehensive book on analog synthesizers at the time. I lent the book and 
never got it back. When I renewed my interest in analog synthesizers, it was the 
first book that I looked for. I found one on ebay for $75.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>The book describes control 
voltage concepts, sound sources, sound modifiers and control voltage 
sources. Each module is described with enough detail with specific commercial 
examples that you can make some overall design considerations.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>There are lots of block diagrams and graphs 
showing the musical implications. There are no schematics diagrams. This is not 
a build your own synthesizer book.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>For example there is a discussion of 
exponential FM and linear FM and the musical implication.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>If I were to design a sequencer, I would start with 
the Strange book to determine what kind of inputs, outputs, and controls that I 
might want to design in.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>I use it just to get ideas going.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>John</FONT>  </DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=ltr 
style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
  <DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial">----- Original Message ----- </DIV>
  <DIV 
  style="BACKGROUND: #e4e4e4; FONT: 10pt arial; font-color: black"><B>From:</B> 
  <A title=JPotter@IT.RJF.com href="mailto:JPotter@IT.RJF.com">John Potter</A> 
  </DIV>
  <DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial"><B>To:</B> <A title=synth-diy@dropmix.xs4all.nl 
  href="mailto:'synth-diy@dropmix.xs4all.nl'">'synth-diy@dropmix.xs4all.nl'</A> 
  </DIV>
  <DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Sent:</B> Thursday, September 27, 2001 1:37 
  PM</DIV>
  <DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Subject:</B> RE: [sdiy] [Fwd: [AH] Allen 
  Strange Book]</DIV>
  <DIV><BR></DIV>
  <P><FONT size=2>Wondering how this stacks up to other books on the 
  subject?  Does it get into schematics or is it more about theory? A high 
  level table of contents would be great if it's not too much 
trouble.</FONT></P>
  <P><FONT size=2>Thanks,</FONT> </P>
  <P><FONT size=2>John</FONT> </P>
  <P><FONT size=2>-----Original Message-----</FONT> <BR><FONT size=2>From: Peter 
  Blackett [<A 
  href="mailto:dragonser@clara.net">mailto:dragonser@clara.net</A>]</FONT> 
  <BR><FONT size=2>Sent: Thursday, September 27, 2001 5:46 AM</FONT> <BR><FONT 
  size=2>To: synth Diy list</FONT> <BR><FONT size=2>Subject: [sdiy] [Fwd: [AH] 
  Allen Strange Book]</FONT> </P><BR>
  <P><FONT size=2>just forwarding this for anyone who isn't on the AH list 
  ....</FONT> </P>
  <P><FONT size=2>-------- Original Message --------</FONT> <BR><FONT 
  size=2>Subject: [AH] Strange Book</FONT> <BR><FONT size=2>Date: Wed, 26 Sep 
  2001 16:33:28 +0000</FONT> <BR><FONT size=2>From: Allen Strange 
  <astrange@email.sjsu.edu></FONT> <BR><FONT size=2>Reply-To: 
  astrange@email.sjsu.edu</FONT> <BR><FONT size=2>Organization: School of Music 
  and Dance</FONT> <BR><FONT size=2>To: analogue@hyperreal.org</FONT> </P>
  <P><FONT size=2>Folks:</FONT> </P>
  <P><FONT size=2>I am FINALLY informed by the publisher that the original 1985 
  edition of</FONT> <BR><FONT size=2>my</FONT> <BR><FONT size=2>dinosaur 
  book< Electronic Music: Systems, Controls and Techniques> is</FONT> 
  <BR><FONT size=2>available for individual purchase (w/ a credit card. etc.) by 
  calling</FONT> <BR><FONT size=2>Primus</FONT> <BR><FONT size=2>Fulfillment 
  Services at</FONT> <BR><FONT size=2>1-800-962-9342. I do not know the price 
  but it should be reasonable-</FONT> <BR><FONT size=2>certainly</FONT> 
  <BR><FONT size=2>not above $30.00. If more, don't buy it! This number is 
  operational</FONT> <BR><FONT size=2>between</FONT> <BR><FONT size=2>8:30-5:00 
  Eastern Standard Time</FONT> </P>
  <P><FONT size=2>I just got this message from the publisher and s/he says it 
  will take a</FONT> <BR><FONT size=2>couple</FONT> <BR><FONT size=2>of days to 
  get the books in stock but they are accepting orders. I</FONT> <BR><FONT 
  size=2>appreciate</FONT> <BR><FONT size=2>your patience - it only took 12 
  years!!!</FONT> </P>
  <P><FONT size=2>Please pass this one to others who may be interested.</FONT> 
  </P>
  <P><FONT size=2>Cheers-</FONT> </P>
  <P><FONT size=2>Allen Strange</FONT> </P>
  <P><FONT size=2>p.s. There is a new book on experimental string stuff - see 
  bottom of</FONT> <BR><FONT size=2>this</FONT> <BR><FONT size=2>signature -- 
  </FONT><BR><FONT size=2>=+*+=+*+=+*+=+*+=+*+=+*+=+*+=+*+</FONT> <BR><FONT 
  size=2>                         
  Allen Strange</FONT> <BR><FONT 
  size=2>                     
  Graduate Coordinator</FONT> <BR><FONT 
  size=2>                 
  San Jose State University</FONT> <BR><FONT 
  size=2>                    
  1 Washington Square</FONT> <BR><FONT 
  size=2>                
  San Jose, CA 95192-0095</FONT> <BR><FONT size=2>   Vox + 
  408-924-4646 Fax + 408 924-4773</FONT> <BR><FONT 
  size=2>                  
  Home fax + 408 399-3061</FONT> <BR><FONT size=2>"The Contemporary Violin: 
  Extended Performance Techniques"</FONT> <BR><FONT 
  size=2>                          
  now available at:</FONT> <BR><FONT 
  size=2>          <A target=_blank 
  href="http://www.ucpress.edu/books/pages/8987.html">http://www.ucpress.edu/books/pages/8987.html</A></FONT> 
  <BR><FONT size=2>=+*+=+*+=+*+=+*+=+*+=+*+=+*+=+*+</FONT> 
</P></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>