[sdiy] Questions about potentiometers

mskala at northcoastsynthesis.com mskala at northcoastsynthesis.com
Tue Jan 24 05:58:33 CET 2023

On Mon, 23 Jan 2023, Daniel Roberts via Synth-diy wrote:

> Scott - I think you're probably looking for something like
> this: https://www.thonk.co.uk/shop/ttpots/ ? They are also available
> elsewhere, often listed under "Song Huei trimmer pot"

I wish people wouldn't call these "trimmers," but the usage may be too
engrained to stop at this point.

The problem is that real trimmers are meant for *trimming* out component
tolerances, precisely setting V/oct response, and similar.  They're
designed to be adjusted once, or at best rarely, and left alone the rest
of the time.  Pots designed for that purpose will wear out and fail if
used as panel controls.  Plastic-shaft pots actually intended for use as
frequently-adjusted controls, like the ones on the Thonk page, may look
similar to trimmers but they have much more rotational life.  Using the
same word for both is asking for trouble.

Matthew Skala
North Coast Synthesis Ltd.

More information about the Synth-diy mailing list