[sdiy] [OT] LM13700 spotted in commercial product of big Manufacturer

Neil Johnson neil.johnson71 at gmail.com
Sun May 15 22:43:44 CEST 2022

Brian Willoughby wrote:
> What about the Analog Devices SSM2018 and SSM2164?

The SSM2164 went out of production when ADI closed the particular fab
line on which the SSM2164 was being produced.  Later, CoolAudio cloned
it as the V2164, and then subsequently Sound Semiconductor released
the SSI2164 which is an improved version of the original SSM part by
the same designer.

> ... or is a VCA (OVCE) not always interchangeable with an OTA? I realize that an OTA is flexible enough to be used in many ways, but it seems that a VCA is the most useful.

No they're slightly different beasts, and the SSM2018 is long dead.
Right now we have SMD versions of the LM13700, and the 2164 in various
guises from at least three manufacturers (SSI, CA, Alfa).

> One promising company is THAT Corp, who obtained military chip fabrication that's capable of very useful analog silicon, and they seem to know how to use the equipment. Their prices are high, but considering the limited volume, it seems a reasonable price to pay.

THAT have been around for a long time, and their parts are built on a
custom process with isolated NPN and PNP transistors, allowing them to
do some funky low noise/distortion tricks.  But it's very expensive
owning your own fab, hence the prices.

Neil