[sdiy] GCC vs Clang for Audio DSP

Mike Bryant mbryant at futurehorizons.com
Wed May 4 22:28:56 CEST 2022

With my DSP based code (audio mixer type stuff - filters, compressors, mix busses, effects, etc, all running on a 96kHz prime cycle with sidechains as necessary) - I usually see a slightly larger code size - ten percent-ish - but much faster execution time.   From what I've seen gcc tends to unroll the wrong loops, and it's hard even with pragmas to make it unroll the correct ones.

I've one routine using split double precision multiply-accumulates (using  a combination of struct and union) where Clang was over 100% faster simply because it noticed an optimisation gcc didn't, but nor could I force gcc to take that optimisation short of pasting the Clang code in as assembly.

Conversely I had a SPDIF receiver where on first compile Clang was about 8% faster but with some careful work I got it down to one unused jmp more than Clang because gcc doesn't like producing indexed jumps (or at least I can't persaude it to do so) so I had to use a line of assembly code to force it to do.

So I think my opinion stated isn't that gcc is sub-standard for embedded, just that you should write code either compiler can take and see which is best, and in my case that usually is Clang, but may not be for all use-cases.
However if you are writing code for Macs, iPhones, Android or PCs then it's moreorless a done deal, gcc is past it's use-by date, as is Intel Compiler.

What I am surprised with is you found no difference between ARMcompiler and Clang.  I'd need to look at your code but it may be that for the M0-M3 class processors they are the same.  Did you look at the actual assembly code produced ?
When you get to the A7x series using 64 bit it's night and day as it makes far better use of the NEON vector processor, and even on the 32 bit M7 processors there's usually a definitely noticeable percent or two improvement.