[sdiy] a provoking question about time

Roman Sowa modular at go2.pl
Fri Jun 24 14:38:33 CEST 2022

Thank you for all the replies, I'll try to combine my responses in one
go. TLDR - we're all doomed, there's no way out.

==================
Steve said about specialized runtime chips.
Well, that one's even more expensive than the microcontroller, and I can
add such runtime count in the micro itself. But it's good to know they
exist, I recall them being mechanical long time ago

==================
Tom Wiltshirte said:
 > Could you instead assume some "average number of boot-ups per year"
and then re-write the memory at start-up after the chip has booted up X
times?

That sounds reasonable. Simply don't care about the people who don't
turn it on for years, they don't need it anyway, so let them burn in hell

==================
Grant asked:
 > Is there *any* ROM in the part like a bootloader? Assuming one utilizes
 > that, the end user could reflash the OS after 10 years or something.

No, there's no ROM bootloader. That would be easy, then I'd use serial
memory with 100 years data endurance.

==================
Brian W said some valid points about proper programmer and robust eMMC.
Why would you assume that I'm not using ICD3 (and ICD2 before that)? And
I'd love to sacrifice part of memory for error correction, but PICs do
not provide anything to do that. Booting from external memory of any
kind is something I considered too, but I don't think I will migrate to
higher end ARM chips ever. Although I've used booting from external
memory in the past, that was the only way to go with DSP.

==================
Richie Burnett said:
 > Perhaps it's possible to protect the firmware with an ECC block (error
 > correcting code,)  so that the first sign of corruption can be detected
 > *and then corrected* with a fresh re-write!

Yes, that's possible. But what if first sign of corruption happens in
first instruction, or inside memory test procedure? Poor micro will not
even be aware its dead.
I've also noticed that in time, new micros are made with smaller and
smaller process, hence being cheaper with more features, but OTOH
needing lower voltage for operation, and with poorer flash retention.
Also, congrats of having tens of thousands copies of your work out
there! Did you get a "golden record" like you would if it was a pop album?

==================
and Steve again:
 > 7 years after 1k cycles @ 125°C

that's scary, OTOH you can't easily find 125°C inside a synth, more like
60 or so, the only reason all that gear still works, but not for long
anyway.

The bottom line, all that data retention thing makes me want to build a
synth with pure logic only, without any memory. Or use old style micro
with no internal program memory, and external FRAM which is extimated
for 280 years retention in room temp.

I think I'll use Tom's suggestion to simply count powerups and start a
rewrite every few hundred of them or so.

Thanks for valuable discussion
Roman