[sdiy] a provoking question about time

Roman Sowa modular at go2.pl
Thu Jun 23 11:34:04 CEST 2022

Hello,
what are your concerns about flash retention time in microcontrollers?
Usually PIC18 and PIC16 claim 40 years in datasheet, but dsPIC only 20.
I've seen corrupted memory in products made about 15 years ago with
dsPIC, so datasheet value seems real.

One way to do it is to rewrite all memory from time to time, but how to
do that? Even if there's real time clock running, the user may always
change the date, and if it's not alowed, the battery or supercapacitor
may die, or get ripped away. My idea is to clearly state somewhere, in
manual, or on the device "please run maintenance procedure if it's year
ending with 0 or 5" but I'm affraid nobody will do that anyway, and it
seems foolish.

People have no problem giving their cars every year for expensive
maintenance, but nearly nobody ever does that with non-industrial
electronic equipment. That goes sligltly better with musical
instruments, but anyway many of them go to service only after it's too
late and it's simply broken.

I'm not very fond of general trend which is "buy new stuff every 2 years".

Roman