[sdiy] Who apart from me things the whole MIDI board needs replacing ?

Brian Willoughby brianw at audiobanshee.com
Wed Jan 26 04:31:25 CET 2022

On Jan 25, 2022, at 13:16, grant musictechnologiesgroup.com wrote:
> Hey, it only took them a decade or so to include a messed up standard for 1/8" TRS connectors.

Hear, hear. I don't see how we're going to depend on 1/8" TRS MIDI not being a source for ground loops.

I brought this up with designers before, and someone claimed that it's easy to select panel-mount 1/8" jacks that are electrically isolated from the panel. Of course, that works until there are supply issues and someone in your sourcing department decides that another panel-mount 1/8" jack is "equivalent" ... except that it's no longer isolated.

I prefer the DIN where the shield and ground are separate from each other *and* separate from the MIDI signaling. That makes it *much* easier to ensure against ground loops.

Brian