[sdiy] Who apart from me things the whole MIDI board needs replacing ?

mskala at northcoastsynthesis.com mskala at northcoastsynthesis.com
Mon Jan 24 13:50:05 CET 2022

On Mon, 24 Jan 2022, jslee via Synth-diy wrote:
> IP — the published, documented IP version 4 protocol that we still use today — predates MIDI slightly. The guts have remained the same and, as far as I’m aware, compatible. Though various options and extensions have been added, and since ~1996 we’ve also had IPv6.
> Ethernet was also commercially available in 1980, though not an IEEE standard until slightly later
>
> Still, that certainly leaves MIDI in some rare and distinguished company.

If we're playing this game, the basic electrical standard for landline
telephone service dates from the 1870s.  Pulse dialling is from the 1890s
and I think many networks can still accept the pulse dialling signals of
that era, even if the numbering schemes have changed and DTMF introduced
in the 1960s is now preferred.  I still use a DTMF phone plugged into a
cable modem; the cable modem does not do a good job of following the
standard (insufficient ring voltage - I had to build a booster) but my
phone, manufactured in the 2010s, would've worked on at least a 1970s-era
North American network, and except for dialling might have worked on at
least some 1890s-era networks.  Of course, part of the secret to that is
just the wide tolerances - both the phones and networks are designed to
accept a lot of variation in the things they connect to.

I think there are also some very longstanding standards in electrical
power (voltages both in the home and for transmission lines; AC
frequencies; phase arrangment; plug designs); but a little poking through
Wikipedia suggests that those things have not remained unchanged or
backward compatible quite as long as the telephone, with their current
forms in North America mostly appearing in the early 20th Century. They're
still in flux in some other places.

--
Matthew Skala
North Coast Synthesis Ltd.