[sdiy] Who apart from me things the whole MIDI board needs replacing ?

jslee john at sleefamily.org
Mon Jan 24 13:04:49 CET 2022

On Mon, 24 Jan 2022, at 16:16, Brian Willoughby wrote:
> On the one hand, MIDI has been the longest-lived digital communications
> protocol ever. Unless I'm mistaken, nothing else (besides ASCII text
> sent via asynchronous serial at low baud rates) has survived intact
> such that modern gear and vintage gear can still communicate

IP — the published, documented IP version 4 protocol that we still use today — predates MIDI slightly. The guts have remained the same and, as far as I’m aware, compatible. Though various options and extensions have been added, and since ~1996 we’ve also had IPv6.

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc760

Ethernet was also commercially available in 1980, though not an IEEE standard until slightly later

Still, that certainly leaves MIDI in some rare and distinguished company.

John