[sdiy] Who apart from me things the whole MIDI board needs replacing ?

Brian Willoughby brianw at audiobanshee.com
Mon Jan 24 06:16:11 CET 2022

Ha!  My first glance at the Subject made me think that you were talking about some MIDI printed circuit board that needs to be replaced. Yeah, vintage MIDI gear will probably need a new board.

Then I realized that you're talking about the board of directors of the MIDI association.

On the one hand, MIDI has been the longest-lived digital communications protocol ever. Unless I'm mistaken, nothing else (besides ASCII text sent via asynchronous serial at low baud rates) has survived intact such that modern gear and vintage gear can still communicate. It seems highly unlikely that MIDI 2.0 will enjoy a significant fraction of that longevity.

On the other hand, it's not like I could design a better MIDI 2.0, nor do I think that I would recognize a protocol that could last over forty years unchanged (at its core). I haven't even dug too deeply into the details of MIDI 2.0 because it doesn't seem like it could possibly be exciting. Apart from branding, can anyone point to something besides buzz?

Brian