[sdiy] 1-quadrant multiplier with 2164

Rutger Vlek rutgervlek at gmail.com
Mon Jan 17 22:03:34 CET 2022

Dear all,

I think i need a bit of wisdom from the 2164 guru's around here. The case
is as follows:
I'm in need of a 1-quadrant multiplier (VCA) that works on a bipolar
signal. The input would be a 10Vpp triangle wave centered around 0V. The
output should be the same with the VCA fully open, but... when closing I
would like to reduce the level with respect to the -5V power bound, so that
a VCA half-open would result in a triangle of half the amplitude, sitting
between -5V and 0V and a fully closed VCA would give -5V DC.

Of course I could level-shift both input and output of a 2164 bases VCA,
but I feel it could be simpler. Would it work to connect a -5V signal to
the ground pin of a 2164? And would that also require a shifted control
voltage?

Regards,

Rutger