[sdiy] Low voltage synthesis?

Mattias Rickardsson mr at analogue.org
Fri Jan 14 21:34:42 CET 2022

cheater cheater via Synth-diy <synth-diy at synth-diy.org> skrev:

 I wonder what's being used in places like
mobile phones or wireless earbuds for example, they can't be running
+/-5V op amps or LV op amps with major crossover distortion.

I've used some mobile codec from Dialog to pump up the jam in a low-voltage
application with mainly positive supplies, check out their stuff for some
typical insight.

Mike Bryant <mbryant at futurehorizons.com> skrev:

Nowadays mobile phone amplifiers are all digital - the digital audio (I2S
possibly) digital signal is converted to a PDM signal which drives a class
D amplifier and a simple LC reconstruction filter on the output.
Some years ago they did use DACs (e.g. Wolfson devices) followed by a Class
D amp, until someone realised going digital -> analogue -> digital ->
analogue was a nonsense.

But Class D amps are analog, right? :-)

/mr