[sdiy] Looking for a specific sample-player/expander IC/module

Brian Willoughby brianw at audiobanshee.com
Tue Jan 11 00:15:34 CET 2022

There are other options besides DReam. There used to be Ensoniq chips, but I suppose those are out of production. Seems like there would be others, but I doubt anyone has better features than Ensoniq, given their long experience with synthesis.

Has nobody released an ARM-based ROMpler? A decent ARM chip with synchronous serial port(s) for the DAC, DMA to streamline the audio buffer playback, external DRAM interface or even just ROM memory, plus some simple DSP support for mixing ... that should be all you need. An ARM solution might be a lot quicker than an FPGA solution (and you'd still probably need memory and certainly a DAC).

Brian