[sdiy] Looking for a specific sample-player/expander IC/module

cheater cheater cheater00social at gmail.com
Tue Jan 11 00:11:36 CET 2022

That's not true, FPGA are very energy efficient, to the point where
the screen of a device takes an order of magnitude more power. Case in
point, the Analogue Pocket. When I was convincing the makers of it
several years ago that they should create a handheld console, the
"power efficiency" argument was brought up by someone else, but the
hardware designer was quick to point out that FPGAs are actually very
power efficient. They said no for several years, then they announced
on their website that they came up with a new idea, which is a
handheld console.

The Analogue Pocket can "save the state" of something like a Gameboy
game by simply turning off the screen and slowing down its chip. Then
it'll be in standby for a very long time... I forget the exact specs.

Anyways it's not like "battery powered" is the first thing you think
about when buying a synthesizer, but still, FPGAs being power hungry
is some sort of weird myth that just keeps on cropping up. I've
personally never seen FPGA dev boards that need a beefy power supply,
but I'm sure people will come up with an example or two.

In the end as I understand it the dissipated power of a chip depends
mostly on the voltage it runs at, the size of the substrate, and the
semiconductor process which defines the substrate resistivity. And I
bet you many current FPGAs run at a lower voltage, are smaller, and
have a more modern process.