[sdiy] UK VAT (was Re: Breaking news: synthCube to acquire Small Bear)

Schwarz Raphael raphschwarz at gmail.com
Mon Jan 10 21:57:27 CET 2022

Hi there

I can clarify the situation with sending goods into the UK as I deal with that everyday.

Those laws were made for large companies and platforms it’s a tradeoff with the UK capacity to handle large shipping volumes

Everything has to do with the 135£ good value threshold (excluding shipping)

- goods with a declared value above 135£

Works like anywhere in the world , VAT is paid by the buyer , you will be asked for VAT to get your parcel

- goods below 135£ (that’s where the fun starts) :

VAT is taken at the source, the seller has to pay for it.
If you work with a large platform like Ebay, they will do that for you
Some platforms ask you to include the VAT in your price (awful) other will add it on top (better)

But if you are selling directly to a customer , then you are supposed to collect it yourself and then pay it back to the UK
Which is totally crazy , they are asking the whole world to register for VAT in the UK.

So you are supposed, as a small foreign seller to deal with the UK administration (like we don’t already have our own)
This is mostly impossible for small companies (imagine if all countries did that ! we’d have hundreds of VAT declarations to do)

That’s when reality kicks in. Why did they do that ?

Simple : they can’t handle the volume (most shipments being low value they figured it would work if they shifted the workload on everyone else)

So what happens in reality : No one checks if you paid or not

If declared value is below 135£ no one will ask a thing,  wether you paid VAT or not.

So the trick is simple , always declare a value below 135£….

I hope that helps

Best,
Raphael